Sunday 14 December 2008

Emotional

I don’t watch films unless tied down and flanked on all sides to prevent me from leaving, I don’t watch a lot of television (more so now that I don’t own one) and when I do its usually comedy programs or cookery shows nowadays. Occasionally I watch an American crime program, NCIS being the flavor of the year closely followed by CIS New York. I rarely read ‘books’ as such, the last ‘book’ I bought and read and enjoyed was an autobiography of a little girl growing up in China, it was titled ‘Falling Leaves’ and what made me enjoy it so much was it being a true tale.
Apparently, European people prefer dystopian fantasies; by which it means that everything is totally messed up and humanity is oppressed and depressed and a somewhat crushing way. Whereas across the pond in America they much prefer Utopian stories and I can see why. If I want to read about depressing stories I’ll buy a newspaper but when I read or watch something I don’t want to see the suffering; reading and watching TV is a leisure time and so I want to enjoy it.
I really like reading romance stories but when presented with a happy cheery novel over something depressing where they argue, divorce and fight ; it’s a no-brainer which one I prefer.
A film I watched recently was Donnie Darko, for the first time and it was interesting… Donnie himself is a very intelligent, kind yet weird teenage boy. But he is a real teenage boy, nothing from Saved by the Bell or High School Musical. I found it hard to get attached to him though, maybe because he was weird. I felt the acting was interesting but as I haven’t seen many films my standards can’t be that high so I’m told.
I watched a film called City of Lost Children the other month, and I actually enjoyed it; so much so I wrote an entire blog on it. I think that the reason I liked it so much was because I became very fond of Miette, the small girl who is wise beyond her years. I like characters that don’t rely on others for protection I think; it’s not stereotypical like the damsel in distress.
Going back into my comfort zone of games there are some very emotional events in gaming history. For those who haven’t finished or don’t want to know an important plot point in Final Fantasy 7 it is wise to stop now.
Never before this point has a game ever invoked so much emotion from me and I didn’t even know what was going on. I was sat in my friend’s house at age 13 or 14, never even heard of Final Fantasy VII but I was sat there watching him play it. Then the character Aerith was killed, cold bloodedly by the games antagonist. I cried, I have no problem admitting this. Friends of mine even older than I was have admitted to crying, it’s one of those accepted things. But what was interesting was that I didn’t know her, I didn’t know why she had to die. The graphics were poor, there was no dialogue during FMVs back then so it was the use of powerful emotion retching music which made the film seem like a silent movie. But even though I didn’t know Aerith, the way she was dressed; and portrayed afterwards I knew it was a sad moment in the games story.

No comments: